Subject: Re: Have Linux VOX sound drivers been ported to NetBSD ?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex R.N. Wetmore <alexw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/02/1995 16:09:31
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-i386: 2-Oct-95 Have Linux
VOX sound driver.. by Gary Henderson@wet.sbi.c
> The subject says it all. Why do I want them ? So linux doom has sound of
> course ! Plus there are a few binary-only linux distributions appearing, such
> as speech recognition and synthesis packages that I would like to play with.

I started doing this about 6 months ago and got bored with it and stopped.
If anyone is interested in what I've done so far (probably not, since I'm
sure VOXware has changed since then) they're free to have it.  I got it
to the point where it started playing a sound and then panic'ed from a
vm error, so its probably a DMA problem.

I stopped because the drivers are horribly written (in my opinion at
least) and I really didn't want to muck around with them anymore.  When
I looked at them they wouldn't support having multiple sound cards in
one machine, for instance, which I think is pretty terrible.

alex