Subject: Re: Help! (NetBSD / PCMCIA)
To: Mathias Engan <engan@sm.luth.se>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@convex.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/1995 05:30:24
In message <5152.811463951@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>  Mathias Engan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We are having problems with Stefan Grefens
> PCMCIA framework. We have patched the kernel
> and fixed (we think) some typos, so it
> compiles.

Which version of my patches and of NetBSD. pcmcia-0.7.2 is for a ~2 months old
current. I've got some fixes for newer currents, but didn't have time
to test them.

> The problem is that it does not recognize
> our network card -- a 3Com 3C589B.
>
> I find it odd that it finds a com port on the
> network card though.

???  can you send me your config file and your dmesg output?

> If there is anyone out there who has any
> experiences with the PCMCIA framework and
> the 3Com 3C589B card, could you outline what
> you did to get the thing to work?

I know some people having it up and running, form your error description
I would guess you use an older version.
Did you turn on the ep driver in dev/pcmcia/pcmcia.c ?

> We have an IBM ThinkPad 755CX2 with a 3Com
> 3C589B network card (TP) and a couple of
> weeks old NetBSD-current.

That should run ... If it times out configuring the the card
reduce the timeout in pcmcia.c and ignore the error. At least one
pair of chipset/3com cards, don't assert the ready line.

> /engan

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                          Convex Computer GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
grefen@convex.com		       Phone: +49-69-665270