Subject: Re: Anyone really using Boca 16port?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
From: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@iic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/28/1995 22:41:53
On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have one of the Boca 16port 'dumb' cards (no cables yet!) and intend
> to hook up several modems, etc.  I was wondering if anyone else out
> there has one of these boards, and how it performs?  How many active
> ports do you have, do you see a lot of fifo overflows, how fast can you
> run them, etc??  I have an AST 4 port now that I have running on a
> 486/66, though I only have 2 ports running at 38400.
> I guess what I really want to know is can a 486/33 or 66 (or what?) run
> 8 ports at 38400 or 57600?  What about 16 ports?  I don't really care
> about the load on the CPU as I would be using the box as a terminal/ppp
> server. (yeah I know, get a portmaster)
> So, if you have any experiences to share, that would be cool. (oh, and I
> already know about the FreeBSD sio driver, but I want to use NetBSD)

I would like to hear for about this as well.... I would like to
experiment with using NetBSD boxes as termservers.. I already have
dedicated term servers here and like them, but would like to try other
options.

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087