Subject: Yet More Weirdness
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/25/1995 17:07:17
Well, I have even _more_ wierdness to report...

That scrolling problem I described seems to `fix' itself (i.e. garbled
right after PCI configuration, but _just fine_ once you get a shell
prompt) if the system is booted off floppy.  What's interesting is IT'S
THE SAME KERNEL!  In addition, I've noticed that I can only reboot the
machine via software if I boot off the floppy to begin with.

I've tried several combinations, trying to find the problem ...

	* floppy boot block, hard disk kernel			Bad

	* floppy boot block, floppy kernel			Not as bad

	* hard disk boot block, floppy kernel			Not as bad

	* floppy boot block, floppy kernel, root on hard disk	Bad

	* hard disk boot block, hard disk kernel, root on floppy Not as bad

So, it seems to be worse when using the hard disk as root, which is an
EIDE using the built-in EIDE controller (secondary controller disabled).

Someone suggested pulling some memory ... it has 64mb now ... I'll see if
I can scrounge up a couple of 8mb simms to try.

*sigh* ...and people ask me why I dislike PC hardware :-)