Subject: Re: Have DOS and NetBSD disk?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/1995 22:47:58
>You need a boot menu program that is able to boot from a 2nd disk.  I
>use the BOOTEASY program (available in
>ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/tools/dos-tools/bteasy14.zip) on my system
>to boot DOS from wd0 or NetBSD from wd1.  I've heard that the newer
>(beta) version of OSBS will also support 2 disks, but I don't know
>first-hand.

I'm currently using OS-BS 2.0 beta 8 .. (and HOW long has it been
'beta'? :) and it works well. Unfortunately, I think OS-BS 2.0 uses
a little more of the disk than the previous version; i.e., I have been
unable to get a NetBSD disklabel and OS-BS to exist at the same time.
If I disklabel the disk in order to access my DOS partitions from
netbsd, it nukes OS-BS and will no longer boot. If I then reinstall
OS-BS it nukes the disklabel and I can no longer access the DOS
partitions from NetBSD.

My second IDE drive is entirely NetBSD, and the boot blocks are there.

(On an interesting side note: on a 245M seagate I have a 235M BIGDOS
partition with windows 95 and a 10M partition with DOS 6.0 only .. and
BOTH are marked as 'primary' partitions (via norton disk editor) .. If
I boot item 1 (win95) then the 235M is C: and the 10M is D: .. if I
boot item 2 (DOS) then the 10M is C: and the 235 is D:. Go figure.)

My question is this: would bteasy work better for me? Can anybody
confirm this nifty annoying property of OS-BS?

>Another technique is to boot from a floppy.  You can edit the source
>code to the boot blocks so that when you boot from the floppy it will
>automatically look on wd1 (or whatever) for /netbsd.  But, in general,
>I think the floppy approach is less than ideal.

I used this method for a long time. Then my floppy ate itself .. that's
when I discovered I didn't have any boot floppy sets handy! Bummer.

Cheers,
Phil
----
Phil Knaack
Tech Junkie / Junk Techie
"I love getting packages from home. I always
get to eat the packaging material." (she uses REAL popcorn .. )