Subject: Re: various musings on PCI stuff
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1995 18:44:35
> [ ... PCI configuration ... ]
>
> Another thing regarding the device not configured message. I don't like these
> either, and I'd argue that they should be dropped alltogether.

I'd argue strongly against this.

The PCI bus is a "direct configuration" bus.  The kernel can find out
at least something about about every single device on the bus, and,
indeed, _has_ to to configure the bus.

Given that, the user should be told about the devices that the kernel
doesn't know what to do with.  At minimum, that keeps the problem of
"i put in device X and the PCI bus is supposed to be autoconfiguring,
but the kernel said nothing about it!!!"

I think my point is: the kernel knows that the devices exist, and (to
some degree) what they are, so it should pass that info along.

chris