Subject: Re: ISDN and NetBSD on x86?
To: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
From: Don Winsor <don@eecs.umich.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/22/1995 15:02:21
> Has anyone had any experience (better yet, success)
> connecting NetBSD boxes to ISDN links?
> Terry Moore

I'm sending this message from a 486 system running NetBSD-1.0 connected
over an ISDN line.  I'm using an SMC Ultra Combo Ethernet card
(price $108) and a Combinet Everywhare 160 ISDN bridge (price $595).

The ISDN line itself has been a HUGE pain and it's still flakey;
I'm not sure if the problem is with the phone company or the
bridges at the end.  This is still under investigation.  I know
the problems have nothing to do with NetBSD, since a friend of
mine has a Mac and has the same problems.  Most of the time it
works fine, but every so often it just quits dead, and then
a little later it starts working again.

As far as NetBSD goes, all I had to do was install the Ethernet board.
It would have been trivial had I been able to use the standard address
and interrupt, but this was not possible because I have too much junk
in my system (the main trouble is that I've got ESDI and SCSI disk
controllers).  All I had to do was build a custom kernel with a
suitable choice of address and interrupt and everything worked fine
the first time.

Don Winsor
don@eecs.umich.edu