Subject: Re: NCSA httpd1.3, Netscape1.1b, non-networked NetBSD Machine
To: None <berke@panix.com, pchris@panix.com>
From: Chris Perleberg <pchris@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/03/1995 08:32:41
> From berke@panix.com Mon Apr  3 07:42:44 1995
> To: Chris Perleberg <pchris@panix.com>
> cc: port-i386@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: NCSA httpd1.3, Netscape1.1b, non-networked NetBSD Machine
> Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 07:43:09 -0400
> From: Wayne Berke <berke@panix.com>
>
> In message <199504030335.XAA10078@panix3.panix.com>, Chris Perleberg writes:
> >
> > I'm wondering if these problems arise because the machine is not on a
> > network, and doesn't have an ethernet card.  Should I expect problems
> > with httpd/netscape if I'm not on a network?  Is it possible to make a
> > local netscape <---> httpd connection work without a network connection?
> > Any suggestions on how to configure things to get this to work?
>
> Netscape is probably looking for a foreign URL by default.  Did you try
> specifying a local one on the command line?

Just tried that, and netscape came up "frozen" with the clock mouse pointer.
I believe the problem is that somehow I have to establish an
IP address <---> Host name relationship, and I'm not sure how to configure
this.  I have made an entry for the hostname (using the "localhost" IP
address) in the /etc/hosts file, but I'm pretty sure this isn't enough to
make things work.  Anybody know how to do this configuration?

Thanks,
	Chris Perleberg
	pchris@panix.com