Subject: slip on an idle machine
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Dobbs <banshee@gabriella.resort.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/1995 03:15:16
heres an odd thing I've noticed lately.  resort.com uses a netbsd machine
on a 20mhz 386 8meg as its nameserver/slip gateway/etc.  Our main machine,
up until a week ago, was an SGI indigo.  The machine running slip really
did nothing except route packets, and sometimes nfs serve some disk space.
That machine tended to crash on a daily basis.  I noted over one weekend
that running slstats on the console seemed to keep the machine more stable.

Well due to an ugly thing involving the irs, the indigo has gone away and
all user accounts/WWW/anon ftp/mail/etc have moved to this netbsd machine.
What happens?  The network is far more stable than it ever has been.  Though
I had to reboot to remove a stuck nfs mount, uptimes of ~5 days don't seem
uncommon now.

Something there is about an idle machine doesn't like slip!

-j