Subject: Re: SMC Elite16C Ultra Memory Corrupt?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joachim Koenig <joachim@ee.uni-sb.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/1995 14:40:44
Robert Dobbs, <banshee@gabriella.resort.com> wrote:
>I've also seen this 'NIC corrupt' message on a packard bell system
>until I disabled the builtin floppy drive.

I also had such strange things happen on my 486DX when I tried to
upgrade from pre-1.0 to 1.0A. I could boot from floppy without any
problems. When I booted from SCSI-disk, strange things happened
after fdprobe() and fdattach(), something with the SCSI-code did
not work any more and the kernel was thrown into the debugger, when
it failed to mount root.

problems went away, when I disabled the SMC37C666 Superio fdc
and enabled the Adaptec 1542B fdc instead, so I did not further investigate
into the problem.

BTW: I had no ethernet card installed!

Joachim

--
email: joachim@ee.uni-sb.de   University of Saarland, Germany, Europe
phone: +49 681 3023043		     suffering should be creative,