Subject: Re: SMC Elite16C Ultra Memory Corrupt?
To: None <aellwood@mit.edu>
From: Brian Moore <ziff@eecs.umich.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/29/1995 01:19:08
I've actually seen this bug come up in an even weirder way.  I installed an
entire system via FTP with a SMC Elite16C Ultra at CC00 using ed2 and a BT946
at C800.  But when I rebooted the machine it gave me the NIC errors that have
been discussed.  Checked for memory caching in the BIOS, but it was all shut
off.  Finally rebuilt a kernel with ed0 pointing at d800, and switched the card
to d800 and evrything worked fine.  No idea why the files would be able to
come down perfectly using the boot floppy and then the Ethernet card would go
south after copying the kernel and rebooting, but maybe these are related?

--Brian Moore
ziff@eecs.umich.edu

misconfigured, but now