Subject: Re: getting install stuff from msdos partition
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
From: David Gluss <david@pure.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/1995 23:51:48
I didn't respond to your original message for three reasons:
1) I'm running -current so I can't try out anything I suggest,
2) there are SO many people here who know more than I do, and
3) I didn't know that's what you wanted to do.

Now that you've mastered pfdisk, the rest is a piece of cake.  Support
for msdos partitions is in the generic kernels...you just use mount
to get at them.  The SECRET is putting EXACTLY the right numbers in
the fstab so mount knows how to get at the partition.  The partition
starts just one track in from where you'd think, so if it's the first
partition, and there are 53 sectors per track, it starts at sector 53
not 0.  Make the partition readonly until you're sure you've got the
parameters right, and NEVER fill the disk or root directory by writing
to the msdos partition.  This may be fixed in -current, or it may not...
but it sure isn't fixed in 1.0.

The "by hand" thing that I did was fairly trivial...cat the files and
pipe into gunzip and tar.