Subject: Re: Hayes ESP users
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/1995 16:38:11
Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:
> There is no need for a special driver.  The card Just Works as a
> 16550, and it uses the entire 1024-byte FIFO.  The only thing you're
> not getting is: you're not filling the FIFO with more than 16 bytes at
> a time while sending (though this is a minor drawback), and the card
> is not running in 16-bit mode, which would effectively double the
> speed bus <-> FIFO, though I'm not sure this makes a big difference
> either, since it's running significantly slower than an ISA bus,
> anyway.

That's a round about way of saying that buying an ESP card is
pointless, you'd be better off buying a 16550 card, isn't it?

Somebody was working on a real driver for it, and they mentioned it
here or on comp.os.386bsd.development - you might check the mailing
list archives.  I recall the last announcment was that it sort of
worked (might be wrong though).

--
Dave Cornejo                                There is nothing so subtle
Dogwood Media                                           as the obvious