Subject: Re: More XF86 questions
To: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/09/1995 01:44:16

[MWL wrote:]
>> >2) I have to use the 65MHz 1024x768 mode instead of the 75MHz version
>> >because the 75MHz version suffers from a "heatwave" effect (lines
>> >ripple as they go down the screen).  My monitor (a Nanao F550iW) has a
>> >80MHz bandwidth, so it should be able to cope, and 75MHz is one of the
>> >clocks supported by my ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (Mach32) card.  I copied
>> >the relevant Modeline from Mark Weaver's F550i monitor config, and it
>> >matches the numbers given in my F550iW's manual.  My guess is some
>> >problem with the horizontal sync; what else could it be?
>>
>> Your cable?
>
>The cable is definitely a possibility, but damage to your video
>card is also a possibility.  Do you see any white dots moving up
>and down along the right edge of the screen?

No, nothing like that.  No 'snow' at all.

I ran the ATI TEST.EXE program, among its other features it tells you
what the timings of your installed modes are.  So, at some point I may
use that data to get 75MHz 1024x768 working properly.  But, 65MHz is
fine for now. :-)

I'm tempted to try out those 1152x900 numbers though....
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>       PGP 2.6.2 public key signature:
VLSI Design Engineer                  CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B