Subject: More XF86 questions
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/1995 10:57:35
I have XFree86 3.1.1 running on a NetBSD 1.0 system.

1) My xterms are really screwed up; backspace doesn't echo properly
and neither does the result of csh filename completion (e.g.,
"lz<BS>s" is seen as "ls" by the shell but looks like "lzs" on the
screen).  I noticed that the xterm entry in 1.0's termcap was missing
some capabilities that are in the termcap entry from a SunOS 4.1.3
system. I copied the SunOS xterm entry into the NetBSD termcap and ran
cap_mkdb.  This solved the backspace problem but the filename
completion problem is still there, and can in fact hang the shell.

2) I have to use the 65MHz 1024x768 mode instead of the 75MHz version
because the 75MHz version suffers from a "heatwave" effect (lines
ripple as they go down the screen).  My monitor (a Nanao F550iW) has a
80MHz bandwidth, so it should be able to cope, and 75MHz is one of the
clocks supported by my ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (Mach32) card.  I copied
the relevant Modeline from Mark Weaver's F550i monitor config, and it
matches the numbers given in my F550iW's manual.  My guess is some
problem with the horizontal sync; what else could it be?

3) Are there any tutorials anywhere on setting up
.X{default,resource}s files, getting cool toys, etc.?  I've poked
around ftp.x.org, but there's SO MUCH stuff there, and it's not well
described.

I would provide relevant config files, but they're not handy right
now.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>       PGP 2.6.2 public key signature:
VLSI Design Engineer                  CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B