Subject: Re: Linux shared libs once more..
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/03/1995 20:29:54
In article <m0rkXHA-000UNlC@hcswork.hcs.de>,
Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de> wrote:
> From the keyboard of Frank van der Linden:
>
> >      Emulating a Mac while emulating Linux on NetBSD, what a concept..
>
> Does NetBSD for the Mac run under the emulator ?

Why not write netbsd kernel that runs under netbsd? It should use the
parent kernel's services for I/O, ie the virtual kernel's disk drives
could be mapped to the real kernel's, tty's could be mapped to the
parent's ttys and ptys, /dev/console would be the virtual kernel's
process' stdin/stdout, etc.  Point-to-point networking with the kernel
would be provided by tun, and shared memory could be used to provide
networking between multiple virtual kernels.  The emulated machine
should either be some easy-to-emulate real CPU, or a nonexistent CPU
architecture designed so that it can be emulated quickly.

I have absolutely no idea what I'd use this for, but I want it anyway :-)

[Actually, it would be useful for testing out major MI kernel mods
 safely without rebooting or having a second machine.]

--
Ty Sarna                "I thought you were wrong before, but compared
tsarna@endicor.com       to now you were right" -- Exit 57