Subject: XFree86-3.1.1
To: Brian D. Carlstrom <bdc@ai.mit.edu>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/03/1995 10:45:45
You wrote (in your message from Fri  3)
 > I just upgraded to a -current kernel from a jan 16 -current kernel
 > and X doesnt work. it says it can't mmap /dev/vga. i tried upgrading
 > from Xf86 version 2.x to 3.1.1.

[Note that I followup'ed to port-i386 not to current since it's i386
specific.]

It's a bug in -current. To get around it you have to disable the
kernel security feature by initializing the ``securelevel'' variable
to -1 in /sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c, line 205 and building a new
kernel. For more informations, see the comments in
/usr/include/sys/systm.h.

You can also install the NetBSD aperture driver to get around
this. See README.NetBSD in XFree86 3.1.1 distribution.

					Matthieu