Subject: Re: Xfree86
To: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/1995 13:32:27
In Message <199501291606.AA17912@carol.fwi.uva.nl> ,
   vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl (Frank van der Linden) wrote:

=>
=>[Re: some messages which still had the rather misleading title about ahb*]
=>
=>My ktrace output was the same as Gary reported. It's not the aperture
=>driver that is at fault here, though. Weirdly enough, things worked
=>when I loaded that. I never loaded it before, since my simple et4000 card
=>did not require lineair memory access by Xfree86.

   I had never used the aperture driver, but instead had the securelevel
initialized to -1 in sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c. A change must have caused
that file to be updated and undo my change. Perhaps a (oh no, not another)
kernel config option might help? Simple enough to implement, I should
think. I can see that there might be reasonable arguments for making
the level of kernel security optional. Or just include the aperture
driver in the tree. If anyone is going to be putting things into the
kernel, it should be the NetBSD team, not XFree86, and having device
drivers as standard equipment makes for good PR.

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts