Subject: Re: XFree86 doesn't start up anymore
To: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/1995 14:50:31
In Message <199501281740.AA11885@carol.fwi.uva.nl> ,
   vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl (Frank van der Linden) wrote:

=>Fatal server error:
=>xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap /dev/vga (Invalid argument)
=>
=>X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

   I'm seeing the same thing with a new kernel, XFree86 3.1,
and an S3-928 VLB card. I use pccons, though, and my /dev/vga
isn't a symlink:

crw-------  1 gary  tty   12,   0 Jan 28 14:47 /dev/vga

   I do have the required options in the kernel config:

options         SWAPPAGER       # paging; REQUIRED
options         VNODEPAGER      # mmap() of files
options         DEVPAGER        # mmap() of devices

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts