Subject: Re: ethernet card performance and support
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James E. Bernard <jbernard@othello.Mines.Colorado.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/1995 08:58:23
"Charles M. Hannum" (mycroft@ai.mit.edu) wrote:
>The ethernet cards fall into three varieties:
[snip]
>* EISA, VLB, and PCI cards, for which the 24-bit limit is not
>relevant.

So, if I may repeat myself:
>Perhaps a better choice would be to use an AMD PCnet-PCI based card (e.g.,
>one by Boca), but I've seen a posting on this list that says the current
>Lance driver does not work with the Boca card.  Does anybody have any idea
>whether it would be difficult to modify the le driver to make it work?

The previous posting mentioned was on Jan 9 by Thor Lancelot Simon
(tls@cloud9.net), with subject "PCNet-PCI" based cards.

And, I would add:  What PCI ethernet cards *do* work with existing drivers?
(I haven't been able to identify any of the cards on the hardware compatibility
list as PCI cards.)

--Jim Bernard
  jbernard@iola.mines.colorado.edu