Subject: Re: netscape under 1.0
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gary Herron <gjh@ag.wa.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/1995 16:13:21
Ken Hornstein (kenh@entropic.com) wrote:
: This is running NetBSD 1.0 on a no-name EISA mb, VLB Mach32 w/2Mb VRAM,
: XFree86 3.1.  I remember vague rumors about the font cache being screwy under
: XFree86 3.1 for Mach32 cards ... is that actually the case?

> I have the same thing at home, and a 486 with a Mach32 VLB at work, and
> both have the exact same problem.  Of course, Netscape also crashes
> whenever I cut and paste to it, so I use Chimera.

The crashes caused by cut-and-pastes to netscape (running
under NetBSD 1.0 and XFree86 3.1) are caused by the lack of
the `nls' directory in the X11R6 distribution.  I grabbed a
copy of `.../lib/X11/nls' from somewhere (a Sun or an SGI at
work) and stuffed it into `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls'.  I have
no idea what files in the `nls' directory placate netscape,
but with that and the definition of several environment
variables, netscape works perfectly.

| Dr. Gary Herron                  |  Email: gjh@ag.wa.com     |
| Alias Research/Applied Geometry  |  Snail: PO Box 4561       |
| 206-628-0342                     |         Seattle WA 98104  |