Subject: Re: ethernet card performance and support
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@kludge.pps.pgh.pa.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/1995 22:46:09
James E. Bernard (jbernard@geek.Mines.Colorado.EDU) wrote:
:   Next did some benchmarks on the 3com 3c509, SMC Elite16, and Intel
: EtherExpress that showed the performance of the first two to be considerably

I haven't done extensive testing, but I use a SMC Ultra (ISA) in my
Dec P90 PCI running -current.  I have the Ultra set to "zero wait state
operation".  FTPs of very large files to an Alpha on another ethernet
go at better than 600K/sec (I get 800K/sec early in the morning when
no-one else is using the net).  This certainly seems fast enough for
most purposes.

I haven't done tests with lots of small packets or other extremes,
though.  If you are interested, I could try some benchmarks.

      -Kevin