Subject: Re: swapping to a vnode device
To: Phil Knaack <flipk@vorpal.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/1995 17:20:33
> I have discovered that it's not possible to configure swapping to a vnode
> device using config.new. It looks as tho a definition was started in
> files.i386.newconf, but it is mostly commented out:
>
> 	#major  {vnd = 14}
>
> [ ... ]  It seems to work perfectly, is
> there any reason why it is not enabled in files.i386.newconf?

not that i know of.  i assume it works properly when you add a "vnd"
to the swap description in your config file, and uncomment the 'major'
declaration in the files.i386.newconf file?

> Also, the man page for vnconfig incorrectly specifies the example on how
> to create a vnode swap. It says:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> am I just making too many assumptions about swapping to vnode devices?

actually, i dunno how that functionality was _supposed_ to work, but
it was ripped out of vnconfig the other day -- it's pretty much
extraneous, in any case.  if you just vnconfig the vnode and swapon to
it, it should work (and i believe you said it did!  8-).

chris