Subject: EISA... (was RE: AST problems)
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/20/1994 18:05:49

> So, I guess i'm really pretty fucked up now.
> I just switched includes to -current in order to test-build a kernel.
> Worked fine up to eisa_machdep.c.  What the Hell is going on?
> There is a configuration file for SUN_LAMP, apparently an EISA-Box,
> but this seems to be completely untested.
> Noone running -current on EISA?

Nope, my fine EISA machine is running NetBSD 1.0, though it is supped
to the very latest -current.  I'll rebuild -current when the EISA
support is ready, until then I am waiting patiently..

> It really hurts me, for I have now multiple Problems:
>
> I have accidently compiled my backup-software with new includes and old
> libs and kernel.  Now I cannot restore data.  My fault.

Hmm, sorry, but that is kinda what -current implies...  I understand
the frustration though, but NetBSD 1.0p6 runs fine.

> I cannot boot from floppy, because the floppy isn't bootable
> (motherboard/hardware)

What about using the boot code on your harddrive to boot the floppy?
(i.e. fd(0,a)/netbsd -sra at the boot prompt)

> I cannot upgrade to -current because noone seems to be able to supply at least
> a minimal eisa_machdep.h.

Somebody has to write it, volunteers?

> So, in short, how long am I to wait until the one-time definite "buy this if
> you want more than 16 MB RAM" is supported again?

As they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day."  Give 'em a break, they're
working on it!

> Gruesse
>        Oskar

-Andrew