Subject: Re: PA-RISC mach4/Lites/4.4-lite snapshot available
To: Jay Lepreau <lepreau@cs.utah.edu>
From: Dirk Steinberg <Dirk.Steinberg@gmd.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/1994 17:10:37

    Jay> I am pleased to announce that entirely freely distributable
    Jay> code (with one exception) for a complete Mach/Lites Unix
    Jay> server/4.4-lite system for the PA-RISC hp700 platform is
    Jay> available by anonymous ftp from Utah.

I want to use Mach on a Pentium PC with NCR53C810 PCI SCSI controller.
I grabbed your source and found what I think is a driver for the
NCR53C700 under mach4/mach4-parisc/kernel/hpsgc/scsi_ncr53c700.c.
I heared that the 53c810 essentially supports a superset of the 53c700
SCRIPTS commands. Would that indicate that I could use the 5xc700
driver for the 53c810?

Who wrote that driver (HP themselves?)?

Why does the driver live under the mach4-parisc hierarchy?
The normal place would seem to be mach4/mach4/kernel/scsi/adapters?!

Can I just rip out the scsi_ncr53c700.{c,script} and use them for the
PC port?

Where should I place them?

What else would I need?

Should I rather try to use the 53c810 driver for NetBSD/FreeBSD?

Any other comments?

	Dirk

Dirk W. Steinberg - German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)
Institute for Application-Oriented Software- and Systems Technology   (ISA-NW)
Network Engineering Department  -  Rathausallee 10  -   D-53754 Sankt Augustin
Phone: +49 2241 14-3182 - Fax: +49 2241 14-3038 - Email: Dirk.Steinberg@gmd.de