Subject: Re: partitioning MS-DOS problems -- aargh!
To: Ian Fitchet <I.D.Fitchet@fulcrum.co.uk>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/20/1994 01:25:43
>>>I can mount /dev/fd0a as a msdos device and copy stuff from it (hence
>>>the output from fips) but disklabel says:
>>>
>>>disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
>
>>I seem to remember this error will occur, but the disklabel command actually
>>succeeds.
>
> But not for me :-(

Err, how do you know it doesn't work?  BTW, are you talking about the floppy
drive or the hard drve?

> It reads my MS-DOS disk fine (barring that it complains every time
>that it cannot find the disk label), but comes back with some juddery
>data for my NetBSD drive (is it really 24MB?) given that both are 1048
>cyl, WD2540.

Well, if the NetBSD drive is _all_ NetBSD, then it won't have a MS-DOS
disklabel.

I noticed the BIOS geometries aren't the same between the two disks; should
they be?  You can use fdisk to set those as well.

--Ken