Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 1.0-BETA binaries
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Fitchet <I.D.Fitchet@fulcrum.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/17/1994 10:52:31
Hi,

	A couple of quick questions (and the inevitable "how *I*
bootstrapped netbsd").

	1. how do you configure vnode devices into the kernel?  I
wanted to create some boot floppies for my colleague but they require
vnconfig.  The only reference I then found to vnd* was in swap devices
in two of the sample kernel configs and that vnd has major number 14.
My symptom is, when vnconfig is invoked it complains that "device not
configured".  (Even after rebooting on one of those kernels).  MAKEDEV
produced the devices, but it strikes me as a kernel side problem.
VNODEPAGER is defined in the kernel.

	2. are there any problems with the pms device driver?  Having
put it in my kernel I can use my mouse (standard microsoft) with
XFree86-3.1 barring the fact it just goes haywire (moves to top-right
corner and the menu flashes constantly) as soon as I move it.  A bit
of a bummer for X :-)

	2a. A side problem is that the man page for the lms device
driver says:

device lms0 at isa? port "IO_BMS0" tty irq 5 vector lmsintr

	but a compilation of that kernel complains about "IO_BMS0"
being undefined.  (I think I might have compiled a kernel with IO_BMS1
but I can't remember offhand).

ObBootstrap: take 0.9 floppies, boot, but no ed0.  Try several other
kernels til the one with the 1.0Beta binaries snapshot works.  Then no
route.  Then no mount.  Extract both from snapshot binaries and hey
presto!  Slurp binaries, reboot, rebuild kernel.  Success.

 I was further quite impressed after a SUP of the entire source tree
of Saturday (which gives you the top Makefile, the src tarballs don't)
I rebuilt the entire machine in 4h 45m.

Cheers,

	Ian

      Ian Fitchet			I.D.Fitchet@fulcrum.co.uk
  Fujitsu Fulcrum Telecommunications ltd., Fordrough Lane, Birmingham, B9 5FL