Subject: Question about Adaptec vs BT SCSI
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Natasha Petry <jfk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/28/1994 12:13:21
Hi,
   My apologies for possibly sending this to the wrong mail lists (and please
inform me of the proper channels;), but I had a question:

	1)  Does NetBSD-current for i386 support Synchronous and Fast SCSI2
	    operations on the 1542CF?

	2)  Considering the problems in getting specs for the new PCI Adaptec
	    cards, does this mean that there is going to be no further
	    improvement on current EISA and ISA Adaptec drivers?

	3)  I've heard a lot of people recommend the BT cards.  Can someone
	    tell me more about this card (ie, capabilities, specs, cost, etc)
	    and whether they recommend it over the 1542CF?  Also, if someone
	    can point me to a distributor (I've not been able to locate the
	    cards).  I'm interested in ISA, EISA, and PCI information.

	4)  Can someone tell me about the NCR chipset for PCI SCSI?  Does
	    BT use this set?

	5)  The ISA DMA overrun problem found on ISA machines with more
	    than 16 MB of RAM - does NetBSD handle this gracefully, or are
	    files written during this problem corrupted?

Thanks for your help;)

Cheers,
Jake
jfk@seas.upenn.edu