Subject: Gateway sound card ("Jazz"?) and /dev/sb
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Deaven <deaven@ishmael.ameslab.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/1994 10:36:03
  My "SoundBlaster 2.0 compatible" sound card does not probe correctly
with sb.c from NetBSD-1.0_BETA.

  The card comes from Gateway computers, whose literature does not
specify the real manufacturer. But it looks like the card is called "Jazz"
from the install software.  The card is an ISA with Sony and Mitsumi
CD-ROM jacks on it, MIDI processor, mixer, FM synth, etc.  (Yes, I have
run the DOS setup program to match the board's settings with those in
the kernel.)

  I modified the probe to show what it did find.  It gets the board's
IRQ setting OK, gets "0.0" for the "DSP revision number", and
`finds' a magic number 0xff instead of SB_MAGIC.

  If anybody has gotten sb.c to work with the Gateway card, please
contact me.  (I'm willing to work on the driver but don't want to
re-invent...)

Dave Deaven <deaven@ishmael.ameslab.gov>