Subject: Re: Generic audio driver for NetBSD/i386
To: None <brezak@apollo.hp.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/15/1994 09:11:08
>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 19:43:53 -0400
>From: John Brezak <brezak@apollo.hp.com>

>I might have a "dumb" MIDI MPU-401 interface soon. Now this will get to the
>external MIDI port. What is needed next is something to get the the dsp's
>MIDI facilities - Yamaha, OPL, etc. Anyone know about these ? Should they
>also be driver by the same "dumb" MPU interface ?

AFAIK, you can't access the FM through the MIDI directly.  The "dumb"
interface is all you have.  If you look at the card, you'll see that
there's no OPL[23] on there; the FM synthesis is done by the DSP.
Wavetable is also done by the DSP, if you have the ROM.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                    (PGP 2.6 public key available)