Subject: Re: Generic audio driver for NetBSD/i386
To: Mike Long <Mike.Long@analog.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/1994 17:44:01
>It's just a UART, but it uses a weird bit rate: 31250 bps.  Also like
>a regular UART, the MIDI port (at least on the PSS) cannot use DMA; so
>expect some CPU loading.

"Just a UART" he says! :-)

Isn't it MC6850 UARTs?  I believe the documentation for the GUS says it behaves
like a 6850 in regards to programmable registers and stuff; no DMA and I don't
believe those UARTs have a FIFO either :-(

>>have a generic ad1848 driver that can be shared between the pss and wss (and
>>possible the new GUS). Also the CD rom port should be able to use the 'mcd'
>
>If I remember correctly the new GUS uses a Crystal Semiconductor
>CS4231 codec (boo, hiss :), which is somewhat different from the '48.

The documentation I have says it uses the CS4231 either (this is the SDK from
Gravis, so I'd tend to believe it :-) ).

--Ken