Subject: Re: Generic audio driver for NetBSD/i386
To: None <glass@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/1994 09:10:36
>Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 18:15:36 -0700
>From: Adam Glass <glass@NetBSD.ORG>
>
>> - - What about MIDI (Mike Long sent me a quick and dirty little driver
>>   that I might try out on the Cardinal) ?
>
>btw: there is a freeware unix midi synchronizer wandering around on
>one of the lbl ftp sites.

I think I got the driver I sent John from the ftp.ee.lbl.gov (?) site,
originally.  I definitely didn't write it (I don't know the MPU-401
nor the kernel's guts well enough).  The filename is devmidi.shar.Z.

>I think the basic problem here is that all of these audio devices have
>some common features, and then a ton of really random features.  A
>class hierarchy of audio abstractions might help somewhat.

Yup.  It's a mess.  And the least common denominator (soundblaster) is
quite low indeed.

Really, if you support stereo 8kHz u-law then you've covered all of
the .au files I've ever seen.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                    (PGP 2.6 public key available)