Subject: Re: "GenuineIntel" spacing ???
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@alice.wonderland.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/02/1994 12:07:54
> I only saw an >0.9a i386 install recently, and I like the bit about the type
> of CPU... but is there supposed to be a space in the sring "GenuineIntel"
> at boot time.

Actually, the string that's printed out is whatever the chip reports
as its type, verbatim.

Intel doesn't like spaces.  (more likely, they didn't want to have to
make it 4 longs that had to be read, or, by adding the space have
the first 8 bytes read 'Genuine ', and thereby allow clones to match
them in the first two longs, or something...)

But that string, as printed, is _correct_.

cgd