Boot hang on Jornada 690

Hello.

I was going to upgrade my Jornada 690 to 9.0 (from 8) but some breakage seem to have occurred.
hpcboot loads and boots the kernal as normal and everything seems fine until the kernel mounts the root fs.

root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
wd0a: error reading fsbn 128 of 128-143 (wd0 bn 102944; cn 50 tn 17 sn 0), xfer f5c, retry 0
wd0: (aborted command)

And there it hangs. The only way out is pressig the RESET button. I would assume it's NetBSD and not the
hardware since 8 works.
Anyone still have their machine that can confirm/deny?

/B