Re: Building hpcboot with eVC++4

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 15:58:18 -0500, Rafal Boni wrote:

>       It looks like eMbedded Visual C++ 3 is no longer downloadable from
> Microsoft, and it's been long enough since I peeked at NetBSD/hpc that I
> couldn't find the copy I'd once downloaded (it's probably on the
> now-deceased laptop, now that I think about it ;)).

Link to eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 download has been broken repeatedly
on microsoft.com.  Last time I was able to use search to find it, but
I've just checked now, and it seems that all links their own search
finds are broken.

I do have both the CD image of eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 (2001
version, iirc) that also contains SDKs and the minimal (no SDKs) 2002
edition archive along with seprately downloaded SDKs.  All were freely
downloadable from ms web site along with the free serial number to
activate them.

HPC:Factor - which is a good web site about H/PC machines has a copy
of original eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 at

http://www.hpcfactor.com/ftp-root/software/microsoft/embdvtools30/EN_WINCE_EMBDVTOOLS30.exe

That said, I guess that supporting eVC4 is a smart move anyway, so
thanks for working on that!

> The following set of patches let me build a copy of hpcboot with evC++ 4
> targetted for ARM (it even runs!); it probably will also work for
> SH3/SH4.  I'm not sure if hpcmips uses hpcboot anymore (there's a
> pointer to pbsdboot in the README), but the MIPS configuration is
> missing since I wasn't sure what CPU level we should be targetting.
>
> Feedback welcome.. I'd like to eventually check this in so the next
> lurker into that part of the tree doesn't have to go searching for tools
> that aren't published anymore.

ARMV4 name is confusing (b/c of ARMv4 instruction set).  Note that all
other toolchain templates use the same names already, so I think it's
better to use plain "ARM" (etc) for eVC4 too.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen