Subject: Re: Ericsson MC16 (HP 360LX) endianness
To: Adam Wysocki via ArcaBit <gophi@arcabit.pl>
From: Christer O. Andersson <christer@a-son.net>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 07/31/2006 10:53:53
On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 10:06:48AM +0200, Adam Wysocki via ArcaBit wrote:
> I've managed to get my serial port working and tried to boot the kernel.
> Machine keeps restarting, just like other people in the archive said - a
> garbled screen for a while and restart into WinCE. But I made a simple
> test.
>
> 1. Made a small, dummy, hang-me program.
> [gophi@gofbsd ~]$ cat dummy.c
> main() { for (;;); }
>
> 2. Compiled it and gzipped.
> [gophi@gofbsd ~]$ shle--netbsdelf-gcc -c dummy.c
> [gophi@gofbsd ~]$ shle--netbsdelf-ld -static -e main -S -o dummy dummy.o
> [gophi@gofbsd ~]$ gzip < dummy > dummy.gz
>
> 3. Booted dummy.gz with hpcboot200.
>
> And the PC still restarts. There are two conclusions:
>
> 1. I've compiled the program the wrong way (quite possible, unfortunately
> I have no experience in cross-compiling at all, that's the reason I've
> pasted the compilation commands above).
>
> 2. There's a problem in hpcboot.
>
> What do you think?

I think you have compiled a program, not a system. A program is
supposed to execute under a system (or OS such as NetBSD). It needs
various support from the system. Your program above doesn't need
much support once it is launched, but it does need support to be
launched.

To get something running from the NetBSD sources, try the config
I have already sent you, and make sure you have source code with
the memory detection patches Uwe mentioned applied. You can get
the patch from me if Uwe haven't found the time to apply them.
Without the memory detection patches the kernel won't find any
memory and reboot. Then build a system from that config. You will
need a detached miniroot on your compact flash along with your
kernel and hpcboot.exe.

Make sure you have the hpcboot for winCE 2.0 available in CVS.

If you like, I can provide you with the hpcboot, kernel and miniroot
I use.

--
Christer O. Andersson
Odensbacken