Stripped down samba

I stripped down the samba package by removing the swat binary (web based config utility) and all the related files (help files plus image files, etc) from the tarball and modifying the +CONTENTS file appropriately. The tgz file is now 9.1M as opposed to 16M for the one I sent before.

I installed this on my compact flash, and it takes 22M installed. I mounted /var/tmp over nfs during the install; otherwise, substantially more free space on the CF will be necessary during the install. Note that it installs no default config file, so the user will have to create the /usr/pkg/etc/samba directory and the smb.conf file within it before creating users. Also, it contains no auto start (i.e. rc.d) scripts. I start it manually using "nmbd -D" and "smbd -D". I tested it on my 680, and it works fine. For those experienced working with samba, it should work as expected.

I'll contact Torsten and Wrz off list to arrange sending it to them, and let them announce it. I'll leave it to them how they wish to differentiate this from the earlier version which included swat. I never tested swat, so I don't know if it actually works. My suggestion would be to make the stripped-down version the default and call the complete version something else.

Mike