Subject: Re: Problems booting install kernel
To: Javi , port-hpcsh list <port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Christer O. Andersson <christer@a-son.net>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 01/10/2006 15:35:08
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 03:22:06AM +0100, Javi wrote:
> These are the kind of problems I used to have when trying to boot kernels
> with miniroot until I discovered the workaround Did you try it? Remember:
>
> Before booting with wd option checked, try to boot with the md option, but
> nothing written in the box where path to filesystem image file supposed to
> be. It'll complain and will abort the booting process, then check wd option
> again and click on boot.

I had not tried this, I thought it was a trick to make hpcboot use
the embedded miniroot, i.e. to use md without a filename.

However, it *does* work!  Thanks, Javi!!

I tried without selecting md, and failed booting 5 consecutive
times. I then tried 3 consecutive boots while first selecting md
- failing due to no file name - selceting wd. All successes. I then
tried again without selecting md and failed, followed by an attempt
when first selecting md and succeeded.

How is this possible?!

IIRC, Uwe mentioned a memory leak in hpcboot, could it be more
memory allocated the 2:nd attempt? (Why would that help?)

> By the moment all the kernels I've tried (including the 3.0 installation
> kernel) have successfully booted with this trick. But maybe this will not
> work for you becouse I think your 620lx has WinCE 2.11 Doesn't it? Mine has
> 2.0, and I think that the version of hpcboot available for this system is
> older, as someone say in this other message in the list...

My 620 has 2.11, yes. However, hpcboot from 3.0 presents itself as
build 12, that is exactly the same version that is available in cvs
for winCE 2.0 as hpcboot200.exe.

> About the problem you have with disklabel, maybe is related to this:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.ports.hpcsh/42/

Quite possibly.

--
Christer O. Andersson