Subject: Re: Error Booting on HP620lx
To: None <port-hpcsh@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christer O. Andersson <christer@a-son.net>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 12/25/2005 09:58:17
On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 09:18:50PM -0500, jazzman@exdomain.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get NetBSD working on my HP620lx. I put netbsd.gz,
> hpcboot.exe, and miniroot.fs on a storage card (8mb). I ran hpcboot.exe
> and set the kernel image to \storage card\netbsd.gz. The keyboard type is
> "hp620lx (Japanese)", since hp620lx didn't seem to work at all. Root file
> system is set to MD and the file is miniroot.fs. When I click BOOT i see a
> bunch of stuff fly by, including it opening and recognizing the netbsd.gz
> and miniroot.fs files. Then it asks if I'm sure I want to boot and I click
> YES.
>
> Then it starts booting, runs through a bunch of things that scroll by REAL
> fast, and then I get the following:
>
> root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
> mountroot: trying nfs...
> mountroot: trying msdos...
> wd0: no disk label
> mountroot: trying ffs...
> no file system for wd0 (dev 0x100)
> cannot mount root, error = 79
> root device (default wd0a):
>
> If I input wd0e and let the dump device go to wd0b and file system as
> generic I get the following:
>
> root on wd0e dumps to wd0b
> mountroot: trying nfs...
> mountroot: trying msdos...
> wd0: no disk label
> root file system type: msdos
> warning: no /dev/console
> init: copying out path '/sbin/init' 11
> init: copying out path '/sbin/oinit' 12
> init: copying out path '/sbin/init.bak' 15
> init: not found
> panic: no init
> stopped in pid 1(init) at cpu_Debugger+0x6 mov r14,r15
> db>
>
> I'm not overly familiar with bsd, but I'm thinking this is more like
> something I did really wrong. Any suggestions? Sorry for the newbie
> question
>
> Marc

Hi,

I use NetBSD on a HP620LX, and it works real good.

I use the European version when booting, it works since a while
back. You didn't mention what version of NetBSD you are using,
perhaps you have an old version? The problem was that there was no
keymap, but there is one now. Grab the new 3.0 :)

I have never used the miniroot, but I don't think you can tell the
kernel you have your root on wd0e if you are using a miniroot. I
would suggest installing everything according to the instructions
found at http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/06/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
this describes installing hpcarm on a jornada 728, but it should
be useable for hpcsh on hp620lx as well. You need a larger cf
though, I have a 256 MB, but it won't hold everything. I skipped
the compiler, then it was large enough for X. You would probably
want at least 512MB CF. Maybe you can use just base and etc sets,
but I doubt they will fit on 8MB. You need a small msdos partition
as well, so you won't even have 8 MB available for your root.

--
Christer O. Andersson
Odensbacken