Subject: Re: Future of hpcsh packages collection
To: port-hpcsh list <port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wileman <jwileman@panix.com>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 11/22/2005 16:56:45
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Nikos Ntarmos wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 04:26:54PM -0500, Michael Wileman wrote:
>> How do you propose to keep this current? Torsten's website works
>> pretty well now, but depends upon volunteer compilers. Keeping
>> packages up to date will require a lot of recompiling, and that is
>> going to be time consuming unless the packages can be cross-compiled.
>
> That is true. I just had a look through the doc/pkgsrc.txt file on
> ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages (afaik the official source for
> precompiled binaries) and it seems like only 200?-Q? binaries are
> available for most archs. Perhaps a "compromise", such as building only
> these packages plus security updates will be more suited to the
> situation.

I'm curious as to which dates correspond to the packages on Torsten's
site. I suspect it is all over the place, and that to get a complete
set of packages for a specific quarter would require rebuilding a lot
of them. Since people mostly build packages for themselves, I think it
would be difficult to justify the effort.

It may be better just to avoid version number altogether in the
directory structure, and just leave the version numbers in the file
names. Then we can use what we already have and add more as necessary.
This would also allow us to have multiple versions of the same package
in a directory, and I think the pkg_add system will automatically
choose the most current one if no version number is specified.

In most cases the dependencies would also be OK, as the dependencies
have been built and uploaded at the same time by the builder of the
package that requires them.

Mike