Re: German keymap for X11?

2005/9/24, Nikos Ntarmos <ntarmos%ceid.upatras.gr@localhost>:

> Hi all.
>
> I've been fiddling with my 'nada again, after several months of having
> left it in the dustbin. Well... Ummm... I just noticed that the X11
> keymap is wrong for the Jornada and couldn't find any combination of xkb
> geometry/symbols/compat/keycodes that would do the job. I usually do
> stuff on the console or remotely so I hadn't bumped into this before.
> Now, before I sail out building a keymap from scratch, does anybody
> (uwe?) know of any working ones?
>
> T.I.A.

You need to write configuration file for xmodmap. When you get the
idea the trick to make any national keyboard is very simple. Start you
X server on i386 with German keyboard, and make:

xmodmap -pke > .xmodmaprc

Now you have xmodmaprc file with german keyboard for i386, you need to
make some small changes for Jornada  ('xev' program you can check
values of keys)and copy this file to your home directory. In the
.xinitrc add this lines before exec wm

export LC_ALL= <german locale>
exec xmodmap .xmodmaprc &

###