Subject: One keyboard problem solved, one new one
To: port-hpcsh list <port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wileman <jwileman@panix.com>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 09/01/2005 21:41:42
I reported earlier that after updating to current (turned out to
actually be 3-stable, but irrelevant here), I had no response from the
keyboard. In the meantime, I installed from scratch the current
distribution on an nfs share, and had no problem. After tweaking the
config a bit and moving the system to NFS, no keyboard again.

Turns out the problem was in my rc.conf. The line
wscons=yes
must be removed. Then the keyboard works as expected.

Now I have a new problem. Running X with fvwm2 window manager (as a
non-root user), if I quit using the Quit in the fvwm menu, the server
shuts down but again the keyboard doesn't respond. This worked with my
previous setup, so I am not sure what changed.

If I kill -TERM the X server (as root), things shut down normally, and
I get the keyboard back in console mode. Nothing I can do as a
non-root user seems to get me back to console with working keyboard.

Hmmm, after a bit more experimentation, it seems the X server is
trying to start back up, so it seems it is not getting completely
killed by the fvwm. I'm wondering if it's a permission problem, since
the server is running as route, but fvwm2 as a non-root user. Anyway,
doesn't appear to be a keyboard issue after all.

Mike