Re: How to identify kernel

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 00:50:13 -0400, Michael Wileman wrote:

My current kernel tells me it is 3.99.3. I downloaded today's
snapshot, and it identifies itself as  3.0_BETA (GENERIC) #0. Can
someone tell me what this means. I thought all betas were identified
as .99 and the final decimal indicates changes. But the snapshot with
#0 seems to indicate this is the first one. I'd like to be able to
keep track.

No, .99 kernels are -current.  See:

   http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html

SY, Uwe

I read that, and I don't understand why the current snapshot gives me a kernel with 3.0_BETA. Why is there a 3.0_x at all if 2.99 is current? What does 3.0_BETA represent?

Anyway, question for the developers, which one should I install to get the latest and greatest that works and has the most recent hardware support, even if it is not stable? I can't seem to find anything that would get me a 3.99.x anymore. In fact, I got this from Nikos after my previous attempt came up with a kernel which wouldn't detect wd0.

Anyway, if someone can just give me the URL on the NetBSD server where I should go to get the kernel and sets.

Thanks,
Mike