Subject: Re: HP620LX
To: None <port-hpcsh@NetBSD.org>
From: Christer Andersson <christer@a-son.net>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 07/14/2005 14:43:00
Hello,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 04:14:26PM +0800, Oleg Gritsak wrote:
> What's you problem? The easiest way to get NetBSD on Jornada is download
> kernel and mdroot and boot it from msdos-formatted flash (or network).
> Here is the how-to http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcsh/howto-use.html
> and links.

It turned out that it just works. I don't recall what version I tried
last time, I tried it again and after seeing a bit of boot messages, it
just stopped. I didn't care to see what happened, instead I got a new
snapshot. The new snapshot works fine! That is 3.99.? I didn't try the
stable version. What didn't work was selecting HP620LX from the menu in
hpcboot.exe, but that turned out to be a missing keymap for non japanese
keyboard. Selecting HP620LX-japanese worked as a charm.

Another thing to note is that with serial console, as I tried before
Uwe told me to try the japanese keyboard variant, it is something funny
with other baud rates than 19200. Sticking to 19200 works fine though.

> If you have a working NetBSD machine you could partitition your flash and
> download files from here: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/
> That's a ready to use system.
>
> The way to have the same result through crosscompiling is a thorny one.
> Forget about it... :)

Well, I have to disagree here, I successfully crosscompiled from a NetBSD
i386 2.0_BETA, nothing strange at all, it just worked. Perhaps I should
mention it was just the kernel I built, I am still using the userland
from my previous installation, possibly something around 2.0_BETA as well.

> p.s. We are the last two guys on this planet, who want NetBSD on HP620LX. Ha-ha...

Nah, the only ones who are insane enough to try, I am sure everybody
wants it ;-)

--
Christer Andersson
Odensbacken