Re: HP620LX

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:15:36 +0800, Oleg Gritsak wrote:

> Hello again! Have, probably, a stupid question. Pardon me, if so.
> Are those kernels (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/) all supposed
> to be bootable? I know that CURRENT is for brave souls, but... in
> interviews developers say, that unlike FreeBSD, NetBSD's HEAD is
> very stable...

Current has seen a lot of rototillage recently, so it might have been
broken at times.  That said, I do run -current on my 680.  However
620LX support just might well have bit-rotted.

> So... The problem is that my Jornada boots fine only with kernels
> around 1.6x-2.x. But when I try 3.x [/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-3/]
> or [/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/] there is a 99% probability, that the
> At this time I can do whatever I want with other apps or even close
> hpcboot (it is hpcboot build9, because I've got winCE2.0).

IIRC, eVC3 doesn't support WinCE 2.0.  Also, older hpcboot versions
have a bug in ELF handling, and may by you are running into it, but
it's hard to say, and I cannot compile a WinCE 2.0 hpcboot,
unfortunately ;(

> Three days ago I've managed to download kernel
> [/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200506280000Z/] and it has started OK!!! but,
> I got late to download userspace, so it's useless now.... 8-) The rest
> (I have tried something about a dozen) doesn't boot.

BTW, old userland should mostly work with newever kernels (there will
be problems with sysctl and other utils tightly coupled with the
kernel, though)

> The question is: am I doing something wrong? :-)

No, as I said, 620LX support has probably bit-rotted b/c we don't have
anyone actively testing/debugging it - even for trivial things.
E.g. while 680 has grown support for a lot of keymaps, 620LX still
only knows about Japenese.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%ptc.spbu.ru@localhost                         |       Zu Grunde kommen