Subject: Re: Pkgsrc crosscompile
To: None <port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wileman <jwileman@panix.com>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 07/07/2005 10:45:53
> Since there aren't chances for crosscompilation pkgsrc on faster
> machines I again think about making ftp with binary packages
> collected from others hpcsh users. I allready made some programs on
> my Jornada I could share. So my idea is that we could:

Excellent idea. Torsten's precompiled apps were very helpful,
especially bash.

> - make one standard for compiling pkgsrc (pkgsrc branch, os version, flags etc.)
> - find one stable ftp place for sharing packages
> - make one or more persons responsible for maintaing this place
> - make plans of sharing compilations to avoid unnecessary heating of jornadas :D
>
> Anyone have some comments, others ideas or have some MB on a good
> stable ftp server ?

In general, it's going to be easier to have an http server than the
ftp server because there are fewer security issues. For the small size
of the hpcsh programs, this shouldn't be a problem.

A better solution might be for each person to host his own, but for
one person to have a page of links. That way no one person has to take
the bandwidth hit for the all the apps. Unless someone has an
unlimited bandwidth server. Probably the demand for these isn't so
big.

If there are more than a couple of people putting apps up, I would be
willing to host the links page, but don't have the bandwidth to host
all the binaries.

Mike