Re: Bounty For Jornada 540-Series

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:21:57 -0500, Jeremiah Holt wrote:

> I know this is most likely a lost cause but I am offering a 100 Dollar
> bounty for a port of NetBSD to the Sh3 based Jornada 540, 545, 547, 548,
> collectively known as the 540 Series the port should boot into multi-user
> and have a the development tools avaible to begin porting 3rd-apps over to
> it. thanks

Sell you 54x, add those $100 you offer as a bounty, and buy a 680 or
690.  For the same amount of $$s you'll end up with a better machine
already supported by NetBSD.  I've put a smiley here first, but
deleted it as I really do mean it in all seriousness.

Machines from 540 series only have one CF slot which greatly limits
their usefulness with NetBSD, as their ROM is not reflashable and so
either you will have a very tiny system that will still consume
precious RAM, or you run the system off the CF card and then have no
expansion slots left (e.g. for WiFi).

It might be a useful project if all you plan to do it to use this
machine as a sh3 development box (serial console, CF network card,
root/swap on NFS).  However, if the companion chip is something
proprietary, the efforts to support it will not pay off.

PS: I tried to find out what is the companion chip in 54x, but I
can't.  "F1796" that hpcsh port page lists doesn't tell anything.
There is a teardown report for 548 with all the photos at
www.teardown.com, but it costs money to access.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%ptc.spbu.ru@localhost                         |       Zu Grunde kommen