Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Old version of NetBSD and pkgsrc archives

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 6:06 AM, David Holland <dholland-mips%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> I would just use current pkgsrc. It should more or less run, though
> you'll need to bootstrap as 1.6's make is nothing like recent enough.
> We don't intentionally desupport old netbsd versions, though some
> problems might appear.
> You can also fish older versions of packaged software out of the
> pkgsrc CVS history; although going back as far as the 1.6 era will
> likely lead to problems due to pkgsrc infrastructure changes over the
> years. Also distfiles for really old versions of things may be no
> longer available.

I've had to put the Z50 on the backburner.  I did pick up some RAM for
the 2nd machine so I can go to 48MB on both now.  I also picked up a
spare memory chip & I'm debating getting a hot air reflow station &
trying to take 2 chips off the RAM upgrade and mounting them on the
motherboard.  I see no reason why that wouldn't work.  The motherboard
has the empty slots for 2 more chips, and the chips appear to be the
same on the motherboard & RAM upgrade.   Would only give me 64MB(which
the datasheets I read on the VR4131 say is the MAX) but that's a
little more than they have now.

I'd like to use NetBSD because it gives me more options for the Z50,
but as I bought it for writing, I need to get moving forward with
that.  I've been using PocketWord for now.  It works, but it a little
limited on what it can do.