Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Workpad Z50 install issue

On 5 April 2015 at 19:34, Larry Stotler <larrystotler%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost> wrote:
>> ps -ax | grep sshd
>> echo sshd=YES >> /etc/rc.conf
>> env - /etc/rc.d/sshd start
>
> That worked.  Thanx
>
> Next question I have is about keymap.  I installed Midnight Commander
> via pkgsrc.  When I run it in X-Windows, I can use the Ax keys as
> standard Fx keys.  i.e. hitting A10 in X is the same as hitting F10,
> which is the command to shutdown MC.  However, in the Virtual
> Terminal, when I start MC, the Ax keys don't do anything, even when
> hitting Ctrl, Alt, or the Windows key with them.  Is there anyway to
> copy the X-Windows key map to work on the console?

Do they generate any output at all? (A quick test would be to run
'hexdump -C', then hit the keys and ^D to exit). If they are
generating output but mc is not picking it up then it might just be a
terminal type setting issue.. What is $term for you? I've just tested
on NetBSD/amd64 netbsd-7 and the function keys worked on the console
as wsvt25 (albeit the line characters did not :)

> I've done a lot of googleing, but haven't found much.  I've done a lot
> of reading on the NetBSD man pages, but even with my Linux experience
> I find them cryptic........  Any suggestions on a good comprehensive,
> easy to use guide to learning NetBSD?

There is "The Guide".. http://netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/ which is
relatively comprehensive, and where not obvious people are always
willing to answer questions and adjust the guide to be easier for the
next person :)