Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Building on the z50

Most of the NetBSD release kernels have softdep added to the build config, so
it is only necessary to turn it on in the run time.  Just add the magic to the
/etc/fstab like so:

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/misc/#softdeps

While you're in there, you might also check to make sure you have the noatime
and nodevmtime options enabled as well.  This combination of things will ensure
the minimum number of writes to the storage for general use.

You mentioned compiling stuff.  You could also try adding "-pipe" to CFLAGS
when you run configure for your package.  This will reduce the compiler's
reliance on temporary files at the expense of needing more system memory to
run.  This may be less painful, and more efficient than making /tmp a memory
based file system.

All this stuff together will probably give you that 15 - 20% advantage you're
looking for.

-S-